Monday, December 26, 2011

The Curious Anomaly of Free Time

Merry Christmas! (A day late, but really, is it that important that the timing be perfect?) I hope you all had a great Christmas with family and/or friends, and hopefully remembered that it's not all about parties, presents, and pork (I don't know about you, but we had ham for lunch), and took time to say thank you and happy birthday to the Savior of the world! And hopefully (I know, lots of hope going on here) you've done better than I have at managing your time!

Every time I get really busy, I think about all the things I wish I had time to do. Things like craft projects, books I want to read, food I want to cook....blog posts I mean to write.... But somehow when I finally get the free time, I never do anything I meant to do! That's the Curious Anomaly of Free Time: when free time finally comes around to a person, they NEVER do what they originally intended to do with it!

A prime example of this is my entire first semester at school. I had most of Tuesday free and all of Thursday free, and each week I planned all the useful things I was going to do during my free time. Then, without fail, every week I would accomplish very little of what I said I would. Now that I've been on break for a full 2 weeks, with nothing to do and no one to see besides my immediate family (that's what happens when your family moves and you go home for Christmas to a city where you don't have any close friends), you'd think I'd have time to turn out all sorts of clever blog posts or amazing projects. But alas, my life has consisted of Pinterest, painting pinecone flowers, and fruitlessly brainstorming business name ideas so I can sell jewelry from my Etsy shop. Meanwhile, my sister is making me feel like a slacker by putting together a fabulous scrapbook, my mother is making me feel lazy by running a bed and breakfast AND keeping up with normal housework, and my brother is making me feel like a neanderthal who knows nothing about technology by somehow apparently knowing everything about everything to do with electronics and the internet.

This is what I get for being satisfied with myself. I spend so much time looking at craft projects and decorating ideas that I know I can replicate and understand that I don't stop to replicate! With all that in mind, I'm going to go to Goodwill and buy stuff to make boots, just because I can. Then I'll come back and make them, and maybe if I'm really ambitious I'll post about making them. And maybe eventually I'll get around to working on my potential jewelry business, finding textbooks for next semester, and cleaning my room.

Happy Monday :)

4 comments:

Petr said...

Hey now, Nac is not an unfriendly town...

Ellentia said...

No it's not, I'm rather fond of the place! I just don't have many people to go hang out with since it's been so long since I've been here.

Petr said...

I haven't seen any of your family in quite a while, my mother only just told me y'all had moved to Nac. I'd say y'all should drop by if we were in town ourselves -- we're in Stillwater visiting my cousins.

Ellentia said...

It has been a long time! Sometime we'll have to do that (when y'all are back), I know we'd enjoy that!